Chicago, IL, United States
hello at this domain
- Active (top 1% for Ruby on GitHub) open-source software maintainer and contributor.
- Maintains or collaborates on tens of projects, including MetricFu, Mail, SimpleCov, RMagick, ActsAsTaggableOn, CodeNotes, and CodeMetrics.
- Has contributed to tens of others, including Rails, Kaminari, Homebrew, bcrypt-ruby, and Passenger.
- Created the RubyGems guides security page
- Prototyped and built, in less than a week,
a pair-programming matcher for
Avdi Grimm’s 2013 RubyNation ‘Code to Joy’ talk
Web Development Software Engineer – SwipeSense, Inc. – Chicago, IL, July 2015-Present
Hand-hygiene sensors and analytics to help healthcare institutions eliminate acquired infections.
- Ruby and Rails: Unit and browser testing
- MySQL: Query optimization
- ECMAScript: Ember.js, React.js, Webpack, NPM
- AWS: ElasticBeanstalk
Web Development Software Engineer – Springleaf Financial Services – Chicago, IL, November 2014-May 2015
- Created tooling for coding standards automation:
- Common Rails template, API controller base, API client base, worker configuration (including ActiveJob).
- Code coverage, security, and style via git hooks. (Essential before we had staging or CI).
- Improved team communication:
- Set up first chat server, wrote up onboarding documents, created employee directory.
- Set up repository for discussing API design, team process, and sharing learnings.
- Saved front end devs time by writing scripts for updating all services and populating with dummy data.
- Created and shared diskimage (dmg) of a self-contained wine emulation of APRWin, a critical
- Demonstrated leadership in promoting code reviews, encouraging code readability, and openness to extension.
Web Development Software Engineer – Contracting at Poll Everywhere Inc. – San Francisco, CA, January 2014-July 2014
- Upgraded legacy Rails 2.3 app to Rails 3.2, then to 4.1.
- Reduced SQL queries on serialized columns.
Web Development Software Engineer – SK Intertainment – Chicago, IL, June 2012-December 2013
- Introduced testing (including TDD), continuous integration (CI), design patterns, and some agile practices.
- Upgraded all Rails apps from Rails 3.0 to 3.2, and Ruby 1.8.7p72 to 1.9.3. Build new Rails app with CRuby backend and JRuby frontend.
- Successfully rearchitected and/or decomplected apps:
- Separated email management from User model, normalize addresses, improve email bounce processing (Perl).
- Standardized deploy scripts, logging, error handling, LDAP authentication, pooled SMTP, etc.
Web Development Software Engineer – Metromix/Gannett – Chicago, IL, July 2010-June 2012
A Social Entertainment Site
- Began and ran Metromix’s weekly tech lunch.
- Wrote a Net::HTTP wrapper for our deals importer to increase timeouts and provide better error-handling.
- Often used math to solve complex problems. A former developer once said “wow, we’d been wanting to do fuzzy matching for a while.”
Ruby on Rails Contractor – Zavteq – Chicago, IL, 2011
- Built jQuery Mobile Ruby on Rails 3 site with RSpec and custom Devise authentication adapter.
Volunteer Web Developer – Chicago Festival of Israeli Cinema, March 2010-2012
- Updated and overhauled website from static, inconsistent HTML pages to a dynamic CMS (WordPress) featuring online ticket sales, membership purchases, analytics, and social media integration.
Volunteer Technology Chair – Limmud Chicago, January 2008-April 2010
- Managed website, servers, online registration, payment and donation processing.
- Saved money by using free, open source software such as WordPress, Drupal and CiviCRM running on Red Hat Linux.
Open-source software activity:
- Lightning Talk: Gem templates with Thor,
at Geekfest 2015-04-07,
- Meetup: Maintaining Open Source Projects,
at Dev Bootcamp Chicago Speaker Series (DBCx) 2014-11-06.
- Lightning Talk: Maintaining Open Source Projects, at Windy City Rails 2014, Slides, Clip source,
Related: RubyGems Adoption Center Proposal,
Rails Girls Summer of Code 2015.
- Lightning Talk: The Open Source Junkyard, at Railsconf 2014, not delivered due to time constraints.
- Speaking: YAML, what is it good for? at RailsIsrael in October, 2013 Slides, Video TBA, Source code
- Lightning Talk: All your OSS code are belong to us, Video at RubyNation 2013.
- Lightning Talk: MetricFu is Back! at RailsConf 2013.
Includes discussion of MetricFu, Travis-CI, CodeClimate, semantic versioning, gem versioning, RubyFriends, MrMan, MrSkin
- Lightning Talk: It’s About Time, at RubyConf 2012.
- Lightning Talk: It’s About Time, at WindyCityRails 2012.
- Q&A: Ask Matz about RubySpec (at 42:57) at RubyConf 2012. Not public speaking per se, but I think I prompted an interesting discussion of RubySpec; these things are hard to find without direct links.
Other online presence:
- Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, 2010.
- Business Requirements Analysis, 2010.
- Agile Project Management, 2009.
- Data Warehousing and Data Mining, 2008.
- Java, and Java Web Applications, 2008.
- Principles of Accounting, 1997.
- Introduction to Programming C, 1996.
Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies, Chicago, IL, 2007-2010.
- Master of Science in Computer Information Systems with a concentration in Database and Internet Technologies.
- Cumulative GPA 3.72.
University of Pennsylvania School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Philadelphia, PA, 1996-2000.
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Biomedical Science and a minor in Chemistry.
- Cumulative GPA 3.29, Biomedical Science Major GPA 3.67 (9 courses).
- PADI Scuba Diver Certified, 2011.
- Black-Belt Recommended in ATA Songham Taekwondo.
- Director on Condominium Board (2009-2013, Secretary 2009-2011) of 3150 N Lake Shore Drive Condominium. Manage web site and Community Relations & Communications Committee.